4.23.2011

.Canvas Logo Art.

Adam's painting project is finished.

It feels AMAZING.

Before I get into the tutorial and revealing the final result, I need to share some background information on why I chose to do a project for Adam. My husband is an incredibly talented man and is always working on perfecting his "craft." He is a motion graphics artist. Adam creates visual effects, motion graphics, and logo animations. He works not one job, but two--yes, my baby is something else! At his 9-to-5 job Adam is the Creative Director at Hello Studios here in Lynchburg. On the "side" Adam is the Site Editor for Aetuts+, one of the largest Adobe After Effects training sites in the world.  Aetuts+ is part of a network of educational sites created by Envato, an Australia-based company. Their mission is to help people earn money by selling digital goods and grow in their fields by learning new skills. (Yes, he walked me through that word for word) 

Pictured below are the logos for each of the different tuts+ sites:
I wanted to create these logos for Adam to display in his studio office. I easily could have printed these out and framed them..but where is the fun in that? I decided to familiarize myself with my set of paint brushes and practice painting. Let me state one fact: "I, Katie Miller, am NOT painter." I enjoy painting and the idea of painting but have never been a painter. Drawing has been more my "thing." So this project is for all of you non-painters out there. 

Here is a shot of my finished paintings:
   Materials needed to create Logo Paintings:
      - Canvases (Michaels has a package of 10 canvases for $19.99--that is $2
        per canvas PLUS you can use a past receipt from their store for an extra 
        40% off--talk about a great deal!)
      - Acrylic Paint (To complete Adam's project, I needed many ounces of 
        numerous shades. Michaels had a sale for 8oz Acrylic paint for $1.99! I
        lucked out as an 8oz bottle is originally $3.50)
      - Paint brushes: one thin, angled brush and one thick brush
      - Paper plates
      - Pencil
      - Sharpie fine tip marker
      - Projector
      - Ruler (I used an old laundry card from college since I had to draw many
        small straight edges)
 This entire project cost me under $40.00! Keep in mind I completed not one, but ten canvases for Adam's studio office.

Making Your Logo Paintings

1. Download a logo of your choice onto your desktop or laptop.
2. If you have access to a projector, connect the projector up to your 
   computer and project your logo of choice onto a wall. 
3. Once your image is projected, grab your blank canvas and hold it against the 
    wall until you are satisfied with the sizing of the logo on your canvas. The 
    pictures above and below captured me lining up "ae" with my canvas. My goal 
    was to have "ae" as large as it could be with fitting perfectly on my canvas. 
    Adam's projector was situated on the chair a few feet away from the wall in 
    his office.
Our friend, the projector. You do not need a projector that looks just like this one--have any teacher friends? I'm sure by asking around you can find one in a school, I know they still "exist" because I used them 2 years ago during my student teaching! Your church may have access to one as well, just ask around :)
 4. When your canvas is in place, using your pencil, carefully trace the 
    logo. 
   Hint: Take your time as you trace. I learned this is
   the most important step. If you have a spouse, 
   child, or friend nearby have them hold your canvas
   in place while you trace. Feel free to even use a
   ruler or another straight edge to help with your 
   lines. I did this by myself and rushed the process 
   thinking I could "fix" my lines later on. To my 
   surprise, I relied on the exact pencil lines I drew
   during this step. Take your time! 
Canvas before and after tracing the logo. Please note the not-so-straight lines.
5. Depending on how many canvases you plan on painting, repeat steps #1-4 
    until you have completed tracing all logos on your canvases.
6. Set your traced canvases aside and set up your painting station. Your station
    should include a paper plate with your choice of paint color on it and paint 
    brushes (one thin and angled, one thicker).
7. Begin using your thin, angled brush to outline your pencil lines with paint.
    Hint: Use very small amounts of paint on your brush
   during this step and take your time. You can 
   practice "getting to know your paint brush" on your 
   paper plate. Try and get a feel for the different 
   angles the bristles make and how to use this to 
   your benefit.
    After completing one coat of paint, painting only around the outline of your
    pencil lines, your canvas will look like this:
8. Wait as long as it takes for your canvas to dry. This project will definitely 
    teach patience :)
9. Continue the method you used in step #7 to paint a second coat. Pictured 
    below is the beginning of painting my second coat. (Yes, I am a certified 
    Elementary school teacher even though I hold my pen and paint brush in a 
    horrid, horrid way)
   Hint: Please notice the way the bristles are hugging 
   the pencil line. Be confident in your brush and trust
   the way it moves.
10. Allow time for your second coat to dry.
11. When it is dry, using your thicker bristled brush, paint a light first coat on the
      remaining canvas including all sides. 
12. Wait for the paint to dry and repeat for a second coat including all sides.
      Hint: The lighter, warmer colors only require 2 
    coats while the darker, cooler colors required up to
    4. The purples were the hardest to cover up the
    white canvas.
13. When your canvas is completely painted (as many coats as it took you) it will
      look like this:
 14. The edges will appear rather rough and will be needing some extra love from
      you. Take your Sharpie fine tip marker as well as your ruler (or old hotel key,
      gift card, old laundry card, etc.) and begin outlining your logo. By using a 
      ruler or old card, it will allow you to trace your logo with your Sharpie and 
      create straight lines.
    Hint: This is the step I "fixed" my not-so-straight
    lines I drew during step #4. I made sure my 
    laundry card was aligned with the rest of my 
    canvas before tracing it with the Sharpie. You can 
    press harder on your Sharpie to create a thicker 
    line which is great for fixing your lines. Pressing 
    lighter on your Sharpie will create thinner lines.
15. Using your Sharpie, continue tracing the curved edges. You cannot use 
     anything as a guideline so remember to take your time. If it is not perfect, 
     that is okay! Your final logo painting will look something like this:
16. Hang up your hard work and enjoy your painting--YES!--you completed a 
      canvas painting! Now show it off :)
Thank you for taking the time to read this tutorial. I really wanted to share this painting project with you because the result is clean, fresh, modern, and very attainable! I think these would look darling in a little boy or girls room using their initials..or is a kitchen reading "eat"..get creative everyone! Where would you use a craft like this in your home? Stay tuned for a similar painting project, one that does not require using a projector, just a simply pattern made of cardstock:) I hope you will all come back and visit me at Little Things Bring Smiles.
  
 Happy Living--Happy Crafting
and remember
--Little Things Bring Smiles--

62 comments:

  1. This deserves a pin ! It's outstanding...
    hubby must have loved it !
    Hope you have a beautiful and blessed Easter Katie...luv ya bunches..xo
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look GREAT! You have some patience with a paintbrush because those lines are all meticulously good. :) Adam's office looks complete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI!! I am new here, and I am already pretty much in love with your cute little blog! I love this tutorial...what an awesome idea!

    I hope you don't mind if I stick around awhile! :)

    HAPPY Easter! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie! This looks great. I can only imagine how time consuming this was. I even love the way it was hung on the wall haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me want to paint with all the colours of the rainbow! What an amazing display, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh when you suggested a kids room, because I had just been thinking that it would be really fun to do my kids names, or initials or something. It also just occurred to me that I could do their birth dates too! OOhh, my wheels are spinning! I love to paint, but I need easy projects and this looks like just the thing. Now, to find some paint and canvas....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome, such a nice thing to do for your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute and fun! Great graphic 'design.' That must have taken forever too! Stopping in from I heart Naptime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. grazie è molto bello e anche se non ho il proiettore le ricalco con la carta carbone grazie ciao dall'Italia eleonora

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post. i think i could do this project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow! I am very impressed. Those look professionally done. :)

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Hope you had a lovely Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. visiting via CRAFT. Gotta love the 10 pack of canvases at Michael's! I pretty much always have some on-hand now. I love how you used the projector to trace the image.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great gift idea. And how awesome is it that you can get a 10 pack of canvases. I also love the idea of using a projector to stencil.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this, and your blog! so Lovely! Thank you for the sweetest comment that made my day! And for introducing me to your wonderful blog!
    xx
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this turned out wonderful! I really like how all the canvases are arranged. Such a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, this is amazing! go Katie! I don't think I would have enough patience for this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is beautiful! I wanted to know if you rented a projector and if yes, which model and where?

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look awesome! What a fun, modern, personal way to decorate your hubby's space! Bet he loves it!

    Amy
    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are terrific, and you have posted a GREAT tutorial. Excellent tips about the coats of paint and the brush control!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this art!! Great tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a great job with these. It's hard to find hubby type decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOOOOOOOVE this! Awesome!

    I would LOVE to have you link up to my Whassup Wednesday Par-Tay! And I have a party button you can grab and put on your blog so your friends can come too:)



    If you are NOT already a Follower of Elements Interiors....HELLEEERRRR!

    Click that Google Follow button and YOU will be ENTERED in my

    "Its a SURPRISE!" GIVEAWAY to be announced EVERY MONDAY! Yeppers! You read it right,

    a Winner EVERY MONDAY!!! With GREAT Goodies you wont want to miss!!




    Hope to see ya at Whassup Wednesday!!!

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  23. I still don't get it, but they look totally awesome none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Those look fantastic!! And you have some mad sharpie skills - my line would wobble all over the place! Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. as a graphic designer i can totally appreciate this! what a neat idea! thanks for sharing. Here from Somewhat Simple!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those look great! I have to admit, I really kind of liked the 'scrubby' look of the canvas in that picture where you put the first coat of purple paint only around the letters. I like that 'messy' look, but I guess a whole wall of messy wouldn't have looked so good! Anyway, they look amazing and your husband must love them! thanks for sharing :-)
    ~Laura
    hayestone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for coming over to link this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this!! Great work. Love the colors.

    Kim :)
    ohidid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a cool project! i'm thinking there are so many ways i could apply this to canvas or even fabric...thanks for sharing this idea at fridays unfolded!

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  30. Katie, Thank you so much for your super sweet comments on my blog and becoming a new follower! I'm definitely following back and can't see what you'll come up with next.. I love this project! Great job! :)
    I hope you'll stop by to link up at my linky party tomorrow. I would love to see you there!
    xoxo from Germany,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}
    PS: You are a "no-reply-blogger".. :( I would have loved to send an email, but couldn't reply to your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love how this looks and the rainbow colors are beautiful! so great.

    I'm a new follower!
    kathryn @ thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. love the font, colors, arrangement & END result! =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. this look awesome! and great pics too, do you have a photo box??

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great tips on using the projector and the sharpie for outlining...

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday. Hope to see you back again with new ideas this week...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a great idea! Your husband must love these!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much again for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again this week! :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is lovely, it is tempting to do something like that for my gamer husband.

    Thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  38. Now this is cool! How creative! Great job Katie, I am sure Adam was stoked on this!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That is so neat! This would go great in our new office space.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great project! So neat and perfect.. I would like to share this project of yours with my readers and provide backlinks to your blog so they may come and see your other amazing projects.. Write to me at craftionary@gmail.com so we can discuss furthur and schedule a day..
    Thanks
    Hani


    www.craftionary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. ou did a great job with these. It's hard to find hubby type decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such a great idea! I think I'll do this with the Adobe Suite and FCP for my office! :D

    ReplyDelete
  43. ahha Such an Awesome idea ;) i will also try to do this but i have lack of projector but i have bussiness about Jobs in India and Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW!!! those look amazing I might do some they have inspierd me.I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  45. AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

    It's so refreshing to see things being made by hand and not digitally for a change!

    Great job with the canvas' and for writing such a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for sharing this information. The information was very helpful and saved a lot of my time.

    painters

    ReplyDelete
  47. Low cost Newport Cartons

    The Sydney Sixers include signed England pacer Tom Curran into a one-year deal with the upcoming Big Attack League Cheap Marlboro 100'S Cigarettes Online. The 23-year-old has become added to this Sixers squad Marlboro Cigarettes Size, soon after John Hastings seemed to be forced to begin living prematurely due some sort of health concern.

    Curran made his or her Test debut in Australia over the 2017-18 Ashes line and took career-best One-Day Overseas figures of 5 intended for 35 in Perth right at the end of the expedition.

    Curran will subscribe to fellow Englishman Joe Denly for the Sixers and appears to be set to play a vital role in along side it given the relative inexperience on the Sixers' fast-bowling brigade.

    Quarterly report Sixers squad: Moises Henriques (c) Cheap Cigarettes Nearby Cheap Carton Of Newport Cigarettes, Sean Abbott, Java Denly (England), Mickey Edwards, Mary Dwarshuis, Daniel Hughes, Nathan Lyon, Chris Nevill, Stephen O'Keefe, Josh Philippe, Lloyd Pope, Nike jordans Silk, Henry Thornton, Jeff Curran (England), Justin Avendano, Serta Fallins.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I have read this article; it is very in보성출장샵formative and helpful for me

    ReplyDelete